Thursday, January 3, 2013

Pilates for Cross-Training

Monday morning I decided to try something new to me. Pilates!!

I needed a day of cross training and my core is probably the weakest
part of my body (I would rather run 10 miles than do 10 minutes of ab
work. Real talk.) so I thought it'd be a good idea.

The class was completely non-impact. We started by warming up our
muscles and then going straight into ab work for about 20 minutes.
After that we went to some leg (glutes, hamstrings, inner and outer
thigh) work which mostly consisted of pulses and small, controlled
movements that seriously caused my muscles to buuuuurn. I'm not going
to lie. I looked like a turd. I'm positive of it. I was out of my
element, my flexibility has diminished as my miles have recently
increased (Bad!) and I have absolutely zero grace and the ability to
flow through movements.

Point in case. Sit up with your feet flat on the ground and sloooowly
roll done one.vertebrate.at.a.time. Sounds simple?? I lower for about
all of 3 seconds and then drop my shoulder blades onto the mat. I
don't think that's what she was asking me to do.

The verdict?? Like most any form of exercise I had a great time and
have sworn to make it part of my weekly routine.....we'll see how it works out!
 
I did end up doing the elliptical for 30 minutes after the class, just to up the cardio a bit, and I'll probably keep that routine.
 
I've got a heavy running load this week. Wish me luck:-)

2 comments:

  1. I have the hardest time slowing down enough to make the yoga/pilates type workouts do their magic. Keep it up, you'll get better.

    Good luck with all your miles this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I. I reallllly have to focus. When I make it happen though, the benefits are amazing:-)

      Delete