Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Inchworm Kicked My Ass

If you go to Dictionary.com and look up "Rest" here is what you get:

1. The refreshing quiet or repose of sleep: a good night's rest.
2. Refreshing ease or inactivity after exertion or labor: to allow an hour for rest. 
3. Relief or freedom, especially from anything that wearies, troubles, or disturbs.
4. A period or interval of inactivity, repose, solitude, or tranquillity: to go away for a rest. 
5. Mental or spiritual calm; tranquillity
 
Monday is constantly my "Rest" day, but for some reason I find no "calmness" in "inactivity", in fact it's physical activity that gives me "Relief or freedom, especially from things that worry, trouble, or disturb me".....Anybody else with me??

For this reason, I frequently take part in what I call "Active" rest days. On these days, I do no-impact activities, but still DO something. This week, I decided to continue with Pilates....my core has never burned so good. Keep this up and I'll have 6 pack abs a stronger core in no time. :-)

One thing in particular that I loved from this class was a new Quad stretch that the teacher showed us. Personally, I always find it hard to get a reallllly stretch in my quads, until now that is. I can't find a picture of it online though. It is done by lying on your back.....if you have any idea what I'm talking about please help me out.

I did find this one while searching for it.....it's called a "Half Frog". I don't even know how her leg is bending like that!! Who tells people to go dislocate their knee to get a good stretch!

 
 
Moving on from Gumby up there....After Pilates I felt like I wanted to pump a little iron.
 
I took this workout from Women's Health.
 
I did 15 of each move instead of 12. I used 8 lbs weights for moves 2 & 4, a 10 pounder for move 3.
 
 
The Inchworm started off being terribly easy, so I decided to do a push up at the bottom. That lasted 1.5 circuits, then things got tough! But not in my arms as expected! My core, tired from Pilates, was feeling these! My hamstrings were buuuuurning baby.....I'm not sore if that was supposed to happen with this move or if they were just sore from trail running the day before. I know that just touching the floor with my palms was giving them a nice stretch!
 
 
I'd never done this move "alternating". Usually I have both arms to the side or both arms in front. I liked it.
 
 
 
 
All the moves are great because they incorporate more than one muscle group at a time. Score for multi-tasking!

2 comments:

  1. I did some advanced yoga moves yesterday (I am at best a beginner) and WOW am I feeling it. I love the idea of using just my body as my workout equipment! Just found your blog- it's great! I am a fellow fitness fan and self proclaimed health nut over at SoFitandSoGreen.blogspot.com . Come by sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yoga can really make you sore! Hold down dog long enough and your shoulders are on fire!

      Thanks for stopping by! I'll have to go check out your site:-)

      Delete