Sunday, September 9, 2012

Training for my First Race Since "The Break"

As the clock started to inch towards my "lunch time" on Thursday I found myself antsy. I've been experiencing this a lot recently. I WANT to workout. I just don't know what I want to do, and that is slightly a motivation killer.

I headed to the gym telling myself that I was going to go to my circuit training class.....I left the locker room after changing into my workout gear and walked the other way. I figured that I would start on the elliptical with some intervals and just take it from there. During the elliptical, I caught the high. After 20 minutes of them I reverted back to my favorite workout, I just wanted to run!

So I hopped on the treadmill and decided to try out some speed. See how my foot felt since I haven't gone too fast on it since "the incident". I started out on a slower sprint, about 8.5 mph, and it felt awesome. I immediately cranked it up to 9.5 and kept on chugging. I ran this for .7 miles, then walked the other .3 at 3.8. Then I did it again! and then once even more. I felt fabulous and was drenched in sweat by the end of it. Pair those 2 cardio sessions with 20 minutes of weights and stretching and Thursday brought a hell of a workout.

It also brought the realization that I need direction in my training. I am the kind of person who craves structure and am purpose driven. I already have my mind made up that I am running Rock N' Roll DC again this year. I want to beat last year's time (hell, I want to blow it out of the water who am I kidding....). However, training for that starts on November 16. That seems REALLY far away.

Seeing as though my weakness with running is my speed, I decided to pick a shorter distance and practice getting faster. I've decided that I am going to run Rockville 10K on November 4 (unless I can find a smaller run or one closer to home that weekend....). This means that training will start on Monday, September 10. It worked out SO perfectly!

Wish me luck.

Do you find it easier to get the workout done when you have a goal or direction?

Food Talk: Can I just tell you about my new addiction (which I found from my new addiction to blogs). Hummus with my scrambled eggs. Holy crap. I toast whole wheat bread, spread some Athenos Spicy Chipotle Hummus on them, top with a scrambled egg and a ton of salsa. Amazing breakfast. Try it




Have you tried eggs and hummus? Any other breakfast favorites?





No comments:

Post a Comment