Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Runs Shorter Than 3 Miles Suck - Tapering

 I wasn't looking forward to my taper week before the Marine Corp Half Marathon. Runs that are shorter than 3 miles kind of get to me. The 3 mile mark is where I usually really get into my runs. My strides and breathing match up and I feel like I just want to go and go and go.......so obviously a week of tapering before a half marathon is not my idea of a good time.


Monday I took as a total rest day. No running. No cross-training.


Yesterday I woke up early to test out my new yoga DVDS. I had done a quick 25 minute segment of PM yoga before bed the night and wasn't sure how I felt about it. These yoga DVDs are NOT the Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown I am used to. They focus more on controlling breathing, stretching and elongating than they do burning calories or raising your heartbeat.......I'm not sure how I'm going to like these ones. Perhaps I should not have gone with the "beginners" yoga dvd box set, but with my lack of balance I thought I was doing the right thing. The dvds I got are Yoga for Beginners Boxed Set (Yoga for Stress Relief / AM-PM Yoga for Beginners / Essential Yoga for Inflexible People)".
I usually get my runs in during work but with the amount of times I have to leave early for doctor's appointments this week.......I feel like I'm pushing it a bit..... so I left work today, without running, feeling EXHAUSTED. Everything on my body felt sore and tight and I knew I needed a run.


Luckily, I had time after my doctor's appointment and before getting my daughter to fit in a quick 3.5 miles. It wasn't my best run (I'm not sure if it's a great idea to go running right after having blood drawn......but I'm stubborn) but I was glad to have gotten it done. After I finished my run, I changed into my swimsuit, scooped up Kaitlyn and we headed to the pool. I decided that I was going to start swimming during her class. There is an extra lane open right next to it, so it kind of worked out perfectly. Let me tell you what, 45 minutes was MORE than enough. Swimming is not joke. It is an entirely different technique and uses completely different muscles. I am excited to start adding it to my routine twice a week.

By the time baby girl and I got home we were hungry girls! Dinner was spinach salad and whole wheat noodles tossed with basil pesto and chicken. hmmmm.....

Only 2 short "pace" miles today.......which means only 16 minutes of running?? This tapering better be worth it......

No comments:

Post a Comment