Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Back, Biceps, and Shameful Actions

Going into the gym this week, I felt like I new person. My boot is off. Yes, I can't run, but it's still opened up way more options than I had! Feeling particularly feisty I decided to try something COMPLETELY new....dun dun dun.....


The row machine! This one is a Concept 2, the same one I used. I did it for 20 minutes...and it was not easy. I was definitely breathing heavily (I should wear my HR monitor next time) and working up that coveted sweat.  My upper back and biceps are SO tight! I've been trying to get some results in those areas with free weights, so I am particularly excited about this and will be on it again towards the end of the week. My only complaint is that I thought my legs may get more of a workout.

For this reason,today I hopped on my reliable buddy when recovering from injury. The elliptical. I cranked up the resistance and went to town. I always follow some pattern on the elliptical. Today I started on resistance level 6 and moved up a level every 60 seconds until I got to level 16. Every 3 minutes I go backwards for 2 minutes...after I finished this I did 4 sets of 30 speed squats, and 3 sets of 15 shoulder presses and triceps (free weights). Let's let the soreness set in!:-)

Recently, I believe that my eating habits have strayed. Being the former fatty that I am, I LOVE sweets. Seriously. I am all indulging but this weekend I went hard. It's also been brought to my attention that I may need more "good fats", omega-3's specifically, in my diet. For this reason, I downloaded the myfitnesspal app. Let me first start by saying that I am NOT an avid calorie counter. It is tedious, hard to do when you don't buy many packaged items and I have an obsessive personality and tend to get carried away. Also, I do not advocate calorie counting for those who do not have a healthy lifestyle. (I seriously used to have one of those convenient store bags of Lays Cheddar and Sour Cream Chips for breakfast at about 10 AM each morning. I knew nothing about nutrition and thought 400 calories was 400 calories....). I do not think this form of eating is healthy and not all calories are created equal. This being said, I use it to every once and a while to gain a perspective on my eating habits.

What I've been munching on recently.....



This salad was pretty awesome. I wanted to make my own dressing, so I used 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil, 2 TBSP red wine vinegar, 1 TBSP spicy brown mustard, 1 TBSP yellow mustard and some pepper. I chopped up a pear and a plum and tossed to coat.(I had enough fruit and dressing to split between two large salads) Threw them on top of my spinach, cucumbers and tomato. Pretty damn good! Will be used again.


Keeping up the tradition of trying new things, this weekend I bought eggplant for the first time!! I cut it up, along with a yellow squash, tossed them in canola oil (more omega-3s) seasoned to taste (hello Ms. Dash Garlic and Herb) and roasted. (They were SO amazing. Had enough for me and Kaitlyn and for a salad topper for my lunch today). Then pan cooked some 2 cloves of fresh, minced garlic, green pepper, red pepper and onion and allowed those black beans to simmer...delicious. After the Cholula was added of course. (PS - That is actually a dollop of my Greek nonfat plain yogurt. Taste JUST like sour cream. I also do that for my meat-and-potatoes boyfriend and he can't tell the difference!)


Blueberries and walnuts in my yogurt. Yum. I think I'm going to try toasting them though.

To end this ridiculously long blog post. Something happened yesterday. Inexplicable. I harassed a runner. It's shameful, I know. I blame it on Runner's World. Now I had no business reading this magazine while enduring runner's withdrawals, but I love to torture myself. They had an article named "Call of the Incline" that got me particularly hyped. (It spoke about the Manitou Incline in CO. SERIOUS BUSINESS! and now on my fitness bucket list). So when I was driving last night and passed a young man charging up a hill with such ferocity, I couldn't control myself! I started fist pumping and yelling "Get that fucking hill" before I knew it......tsk tsk. Let's hope he had headphones on.

No comments:

Post a Comment