Sunday, December 9, 2012

Should You Run If You're Sick?

This weeks training went almost exactly as it was planned. I logged 34 miles, and was shooting for 35, so I'll take that as a win. (I lost one mile on Saturdays 6 miler due to GI issues :-/)

I'll admit though, today's 11 miler almost didn't happen. Friday and Saturday night I got very little rest due to a nasty cough that started on Thursday and has gotten progressively worse. I woke up this morning, and had no intention of running, I could hardly breathe as it was. I was coughing nonstop and coughing up phlegm, although it was clear so I took that as a good sign.

I woke up, drank my coffee, took a hot shower, and chugged water and started to feel like things were getting better. Around 2 PM I asked the boy if I should go and do my run. I really love to put this man in a tough spot. He knew that I would feel like crap if I didn't do it but that if I did and crashed and burned during the run it might be worse. He replied with "how about you just go do 4 or 5 miles and see how you feel?".

I decided that he was right. Any run was better than none. I didn't have a fever, I didn't have aches, or stomach issues. In fact, when I'm feeling like this a run usually helps me feel better. So I head out.

The first 3 miles kicked my ass. I could get my breathing, I couldn't get my stride, mentally, I just wasn't in the game. I ran 4.5 miles and decided to run into a Dairy Queen a grab a cup of water and stretch really quick. At this point, I had two choices. I could turn around and go from where I came and log 9 miles, or I could keep the way I was head and shoot for the full 11. If you're going to do 9 miles, what's 2 more??

At 7.5 miles I decided that a gel would probably be a good idea. I had only had a couple of eggs and toast at 8 AM, not enough fuel for an 11 miler at 2 PM. I brought one of the Hammer Gels a friend had given me (Guess I knew I was going to go for the full run!) so I decided to give it a try.


I never really enjoy a gel. They never taste good and the texture really weirds me out. I can't stomach an entire one either. It's just too much gross. Once I get past the gross factor of them though, they really do the job! I ate about half of it and it was a life saver.

I finished with 10.5 miles. I maintained an 8:22 pace and I felt great when I finished.

I truly think that if I am on the verge of catching a cold, a run really helps me feel better. I researched it before writing this post and the common consensus is "if it's above the neck it's ok to run". While mine is in my chest a little bit, I think the decision about whether or not to run is common sense.....If you feel like you're going to die, don't run. It's not worth it. If you don't feel horrible, give it a try and really listen to your body.

I'm glad I put in the effort this weekend.

While I wasn't running, I was busy getting my family in the holiday spirit.

 
Kaitlyn and I decorated the little Charlie Brown tree for my apartment.

 
The boy got a real tree that we decorated for his house.

 
The kids painted pictures and themselves....

 
beat up my boyfriend.....

 
played in boxes.....

 
and decorated Christmas cookies.
 
Absolutely amazing weekend with awesome people. I am sad today is Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment