Saturday, February 15, 2014

Ankle Weight Routine to Strengthen Those Hips (& Booty!)

 Snow, snow everywhere. 

I think I'm going stir crazy. 

Wednesday was my usual speedwork, which meant I was inside on the treadmill. This week I had 10x400. I did a mile warm-up, then ran the 400s at a 7:19 minute mile pace. My recovery jogs were done at a 9:10 pace. Total = 6 miles @ 8:21 pace. 

I'm not positive why, but this workout especially left my legs fried. Wednesday night I kept getting cramps in my feet and my calves. (Has this ever happened to you? Was I dehydrated? More sodium/potassium? stretching?)

Good thing Thursday called for an easy 3 miler (also completed on the treadmill due to the dumping of snow we received.) After my run, I decided to do an ankle weight routine that I used to complete while in Physical Therapy for my hips a few years ago. I used a 7.5 lb weight. I did 4 sets of 15 reps on each side of my leg:


To make the workout more total-body I also did a set of 10 push ups between each 2 sets for a total of 40.

My little station at home.

It's been a day and a half since that and my obliques are still sore! You really don't realize how much you use your core in every move you do! 

Please make sure I do these hip strengtheners more often! 

and when I'm trying to make sure I do an easy run I put on some very chill jams....


Pandora introduced me to Matt Kearney. I'm digging him....

 and my dinner that night. 


Seriously, I am obsessed with adding dried cranberries and sunflower seeds to my salads these days. I have it a few times a week. The salad dressing is a Pomegrante Vinaigrette. SO good together. 

I've got a short pace run to get done today (The race is 8 days away! It's all downhill from here!) but I've got quite a few clients this morning, so I'll have to try and squeeze it in this afternoon. 

I hope you had a great Valentines Day!

Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes I made for my daughter's class, but school was cancelled due to snow.....Gotta find somebody to eat them.

6 comments:

  1. Those cupcakes look delicious! It's kind of amazing how much strengthening your hips can do, I've been working on it myself and it has made a HUGE difference in just 2 months :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes such a huge difference! So does stretching them.....I sit at a desk for 8-9 hours a day so mine are ALWAYS too tight.

      Delete
  2. My calves get extremely sore too sometimes but usually once I've run a couple miles, they stretch out and start to feel better. I did a bunch of squats yesterday and had to finish shoveling my driveway today ( which took a couple hours) and now my arms, legs, and abs are all sore! That is a total body workout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoveling snow definitely counts as a total body workout! Hard stuff.

      Delete
  3. I get nervous about ankle weights so I stopped using them, but definitely trying to do lots of PT exercises to keep these hips strong!!

    ReplyDelete