Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thanksgiving Dinner and Flexibilty

This past week has gone by WAY to fast. I got in some great runs, some time with my wonderful boyfriend and daughter, some relaxing, some family time and, of course, lots of eating.

My workouts these week didn't go exactly as planned. I think it is very important to be flexible when you're committing to something as time consuming as 4 months of marathon training. Some days you simply won't be able to run due to the weather, work and family obligations, etc. Some days your body will beg for you to take an unscheduled day off. (This is very important to listen to!! Take it from somebody who has pushed out miles and miles on a fatigued body. You will not gain physical advantages and the chances are you will end up injured. Your body knows what it's talking about)

This past weeks training schedule:
Monday: Cross Training (This didn't actually happen)
Tuesday: 3 mile run (This didn't actually happen)
Wednesday: 5 mile run
Thursday: 3 mile run (This turned into 5.5 miles)
Friday: Rest (This turned into Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred)
Saturday: 5 mile run
Sunday: 9 mile run

Like I said, I made some adjustments.  Monday I had to put in some extra hours at work. Tuesday, my man came home from GA. He had been there for 5 weeks. Obviously, I had more on my mind then getting my 3 mile run in;-)

I decided to make up for that run on Thursday morning. Plus nothing sounds better than a post-run appetite for Thanksgiving Dinner. Speaking of Thanksgiving Dinner. ......

 
Look at the turkey! My first time hosting Thanksgiving, my first time cooking a turkey, and the first time my boyfriend's family and mine both came to the same event. Needless to say, I was pretty damn nervous.....
 
 
But I cooked the hell out of that thing.
 
PS - I know the crispy skin (which I smothered in butter pre-roasting) is the worst part for you but that first piece cut with juicy white meat and crispy skin....well it's my favorite thing to eat at Thanksgiving.

 
As you can see, we had quite the spread. My contributions were the appetizers, Buffalo Chicken Dip and Spinach Dip, the turkey, butternut squash gratin (first time having a savory butternut squash. It was really good), mashed potatoes (I used cream cheese and LOTS of butter in them), green bean casserole, glazed carrots and corn.

 
All the lovely desserts. Contributed by family. That turtle pumpkin cheesecake on the left was the absolute best cheesecake I've ever had. I usually don't even like cheesecake. This stuff was amazing. Kudos to my sister for that one. Same goes with the chocolate pecan pie from my mom. Delicious.
 
To continue the family themed weekend, we decided to go to New Jersey and visit my Nana on Sunday. Leaving at 9 AM, with 9 miles on the plan, made for an early wake up call. My alarm went off at 5:45 that morning. As I drank my coffee I looked up the weather, only to discover it was 27 degrees out. Holy crap. I think I would have been better not knowing. Even though it was cold and dark, I bundled up and headed out.
 
Best life choice.
 
There is a difference in listening to your body when it's needed and coming up with excuses not to run. Sometimes you just need to man up.

I cranked out 9 miles, watching the sun rise, and chasing a runner's high the entire time. I got so caught up I even ran an extra mile:-)
10 miles at a 8:07ish pace before most people get out of bed. Not bad at all. I threw on some CEP compression sleeves, grabbed a bag of dry cereal, coffee and a banana and hit the road.

 
We had a great time:-)
 
Another big thing. I decided to get a wig. I finally decided that it was something I want to do. This Alopecia Areata seems like it's here for the long haul. As much as I'd love to have the "I don't give a shit what you think, I'm bald and I'm beautiful" attitude, I just don't. I've accepted the disease, but sometimes I just want to do my hair, put on my heels and make up, and feel like a woman.
 
 
So I made the plunge. The flexibility in training also applies to life.

3 comments:

  1. You look lovely! :)

    And GREAT post on how to balance things out when "life" just happens sometimes. thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hair though you were beautiful bald too! ;)

    ReplyDelete