Thursday, July 24, 2014

Back in the Game

Long time no talk.

I just got busy. You know how it is. Full time job, part time job, kids, home, family, etc. Recently, I have felt exhausted. Perhaps drained is a better way to describe it.

Seeing as though I've been feeling so drained, I've been going back and forth in my head over whether or not I want to train for a Fall marathon. Hell, not if I want to, more like if I can. I almost feel like I shouldn't because I don't feel as though I have 100% to put into it right now, but I'm a stubborn bitch and I've decided to go for it, naturally :-)

I love structure in my running plans....not in my weights. I only follow those for a couple weeks.....but definitely in my running.

I think the first week started out pretty good! Not fabulous, but definitely made me feel like I had a good base since I handled the volume relatively easily.

I am following Hal Higdon's Intermediate Plan (I always use his plans to train for any races......they just work really well for me). This week I had:

Monday: Stationary Bike - 30 minutes + 20 minutes strength
Tuesday: 3 mile run + 20 minutes strength
Wednesday: 5 mile run
Friday: REST (I thought about taking a free yoga class, but I decided to walk to Sweet Green instead. Totally worth it.
Saturday: 4.5 mile run (this was supposed to be 5 miles but I underestimated my course, and when I passed my car at mile 4.5 I was hot, tired, and wanted to stop. So I did)
Sunday: 8 mile run

Sunday's  run was by far my favorite run of the week. Instead of running through the streets of DC or the Indian Head Rail Trail, I took a trip to Cederville State Park (I've actually been there before....) and did a trail run. But first, I had to fuel up.


I am totally obsessed with this breakfast right now. Sunbutter, chia seeds, cinnamon and banana on whole wheat toast.


As much as trail races scare the crap out of me (I'm super clumsy and will for sure eat it if I'm racing) I really think I need to consider them. 8 miles, at around a 9 minute pace, and it was probably my easiest run of the week. I was pumped, engaged, and ready to go.

My only regret was not bringing water with me. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I did a 7 mile loop once, then went back in for 1/2 a mile and came back out. I ran into a spicket around mile 4, I credit my good mood the entire time to this thing.  Water = a good run. That's common sense......I just hate carrying it because I'm a bit whiney/dramatic at times.


Then around mile 6, the bridge was out. Aw crap. It's may fault (again), I saw signs but I ignored them. My white PureCadence, not so white anymore....(who the hell buys white shoes anyways. Note to self)


Although it's been crazy humid, I survived! and actually felt excited about this training. 


It feels good to be back in the game.



2 comments:

  1. Hi! I saw your post about alopecia, and it looks like your hair is back. I am a runner too, and I have alopecia, and I am so VERY scared. Have you explained how it came back? Did you do anything? I am just so upset, and I just am in such need of a good/positive story. Thank you.

    Tara

    ReplyDelete