Friday, June 22, 2012

White Chocolate and Raspberry Cupcakes

For those you do not know, I LOVE to bake. Last weekend, for Father's
Day, I made the boy chocolate cupcakes, filled with a semi-sweet
ganache. Half were topped with PB Butter cream and half were topped
with a whipped cream frosting. All garnished with mini Ghirardelli
chips. I am still hitting myself for not taking pictures because I am
told they were AMAZING.


This week’s creation I decided to step outside my comfort zone. I
usually go with chocolate. The majority of people like it and I have a
few staple recipes I can alter and make things people love. However,
where is the fun if I'm not being challenged? :-)


I found this recipe: White Chocolate and Raspberry Cupcakes

1/3 cup butter (room temperature)
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
6 oz white chocolate (1 1/2 bars chopped)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
In a small, microwave-safe bowl, melt the white chocolate in 10-20
second intervals. (microwave times may vary so make sure not to burn
your chocolate.) Stirring between each interval until the chocolate is
smooth.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with your hand mixer, beat the
butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time,
making sure well mixed, then add vanilla extract and melted white
chocolate. Scrape down sides periodically.

With the mixer on low speed, alternate adding the flour and milk.
Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter and bake for approx 19-22
minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool on a wire rack

Raspberry Filling
12 oz package of frozen raspberries (if sweetened just use less sugar)
1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch
1 juiced lemon
1/2 cup sugar

In a sauce pan, combine all the ingredients and slowly. Continue
stirring until thickened. (if a thicker filling is desired use more
cornstarch, if you like it runny use less)
Taste along the way since fruit can vary in tartness (just be careful,
hot berries can really burn)
Remove from heat. Strain mixture, discarding the seeds. (unless of
course you like raspberry seeds in your cupcakes)
Let cool.

(Recipe courtesy ofhttp://ellilu.wordpress.com/2011/02/28/white-chocolate-cupcake-with-raspberry-filling-and-cream-cheese-frosting/).

I did make a few very minor changes. Firstly, I never ever add salt
when I'm baking. (and rarely when I'm cooking for that matter...).
Secondly, on the filling I used 3 Tbsp of corn starch, (I was really
worried that if the filling was too runny it would soak into the
cupcake, leaving a nasty, mushy mess) a sprinkle more sugar (it was
very tart when I tried it) and bottled lemon juice (sorry but I forgot
to grab a lemon and I had it on hand). I was very worried about the
filling. After I strained it to remove the seeds the quantity was MUCH
smaller. I was worried I wouldn’t be able to fill them all.


As far as the frosting goes, I did half of them with a raspberry cream
cheese and half of them with normal cream cheese icing (my personal
favorite!). I did not follow the recipe on the website. I have my own
recipe that I always use and is all received well. It is:


1 stick of butter (room temperature, no subs)
1 package of cream cheese (room temperature)
A splash of milk or heavy whipping cream
A splash of pure vanilla extract/raspberry extract
A bag of powdered sugar......


Sorry that I couldn't be more exact for you. I don't measure when it
comes to making frosting. Make the base with the butter and cream
cheese and add the rest until you get the consistency and flavor that
you want (be careful not to do TOO much sugar....you don't want to
lose the cream cheese taste). If doing regular cream cheese frosting
use the vanilla extract. If doing the raspberry use the raspberry
extract. Very simple :-)


I do have a personal word of advice to people who are baking. Use
quality ingredients. They make a HUGE difference. When the recipe says
"sift" do so. It gets out any lumps and blends well. Make sure your
baking powder is fresh (a jar lasts forever! but it really does make a
difference when it comes to getting your cupcakes to plump up). Make
sure you plan ahead so your ingredients are all at room temperature.
It's very important. Especially the butter and eggs.

Finished product below:




I gave some of these to my mother (Happy 50th Birthday to her), some
to the boy (always my taste-tester) and the rest I brought to work.
They were well received:-)


On a side note.....can you check out the size of this apple? I had
three. As big as a baby's head, crispy and crunchy. Perfect. My little
brother tried to take it last night. I threatened to kick him with my
walking boot! :-)
lol juuuuust kidding......



Do you see how my hand is stretching to hold it!? Pure awesomeness.
and this is the fabulous snack I have every single day. 8:30 am with a
grande black drip loaded with cinnamon (from the fake-me-out Starbucks
at my work)


And while the only subject I'm on is food.....Are these actually
healthy? They don't look too bad for you (of course, you can't eat a
whole bag). The actually have vegetables in the chip. Not just a
flavored powder like most "veggie chips". These wheat and corn
allergies make it hard to find a quick healthy snack from a convenient
store (As much as I try to stay away from processed foods, sometimes
hunger is hunger and we need a fix fast).......I loved the jalapeƱo
part. Not a huge ranch fan, but beggers can't be choosers!




Anybody else baking or loving their healthy snacks?

No comments:

Post a Comment